Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Scary Evening

It all happened so fast. We were watching The Biggest Loser, when the news broke in and said there is a tornado warning. I said "that means they saw a tornado." Pennie said "Yes." The news begins to explain where it was sighted. Then the siren goes off. Pennie and I said together" That is where we are." The night before we had a tornado watch and we decided to go to Pennie's basement if we got a warning. We went out our back patio door, and ran over to Pennie's. I looked to my left and there was the angry cloud. I felt I was in the Wizard of Oz. We had a bit of a problem with the dog who did not want to go to the basement. When we were down in the basement Maggie wanted to explore. The basement had a TV and we continued watching the weather news. My basement has a battery run radio, in case we had to go down there. I forgot that. The electricity does not go out. We were in the basement for an hour. The tornado was moving away from us not toward us. There was damage to buildings, but no injury to people.
The scare made us forget that today was garbage pick up day. We missed the pick up, but we only had one bag this week.

7 comments:

DawnTreader said...

That does sound scary. Glad nothing really bad happened!

Jeni said...

A scary time, indeed! Just thankful no one injured and that you, Pennie and the dog were all safe too. One of the reasons I like Pennsylvania is that we don't usually get tornados and it's probably a good thing too because I don't know that we have any kind of warning system to tell us one might be really near to us either. Course we do get some pretty ferocious thunderstorms on occasion and a blizzard or two in the winter on occasion but well, they just seem a lot mellower to me than do tornados -or hurricanes or typhoons and such.

Melli said...

You know... I'm that idiot who would have been STAYING out on the deck with a video camera to WATCH it come gobble me up! I'm glad you and Pennie are NOT like me! LOL! Poor Maggie... she probably wondered what all the fuss was about! Dogs know... she knew it was going the other way... Jewl is our BEST weather forecaster! If SHE gets upset and starts to hide, we KNOW we're getting a thunder storm! She's hiding LONG before the first lightening is sighted, or the first thunder is heard (by us)! I can't imagine how she would act if we had a tornado coming... but the funny thing is, when she was a younger dog, she would sit out on the porch with us to watch the storms. She was never scared back then. Weird.

Anonymous said...

I'm like Melli. I would have been one of the idiots also that wanted to stay and watch. I'm glad that it didn't come your way and that all is well. I'm glad that Wicked Witch wasn't down there with you my friend LOL. :) Sounds like you are very prepared which is excellent :)

quilly said...

I am so glad you are safe! Apparently Thom, Melli, and I would all be "gone with the wind" if it had been us!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Very scary! I'm glad you were safe.
I've been out watching the storm 2 different times, but neither was an official sighting. The last time I did get a good look at the sky and headed for the basement. The cat happily followed!

Finding Pam said...

In the south, we do not have basements for tornadoes and I do not feel safe. Of course... then I realize that I have no control over any of it.

We lived in Fairborn, Ohio where my hubs was stationed at Wright Patterson and I loved that big, safe basement. We moved there from California right at the time of the Xenia tornado that wiped that town away.