Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Cereal Prizes

DrJohn mentioned about the prize in the cereal box. My mother made good use of these and the box tops that had to be sent in. She was a person who planned ahead and she would collect prizes and clip the box tops through the year and for the birthday parties. She would use these for prizes for the games. Mr Peanut had a number of these prizes. Now we can visit Dollar Stores or Party Stories and get prizes.

My mother gave wonderful parties. We didn't have clowns or ponies to ride but we had fun with the old favorites. These were Pin the Tail on the Donkey, and Clothes Pins in a Bottle. She made the best sloppy joes to serve. I don't remember anyone who didn't like the sloppy Joes but maybe she was just lucky. At my children's parties I had to serve hot dogs beside sloppy joes. There was of course cake and ice cream. The party was almost always held in the house because my birthday was the last of March and it still was cool. My sister had a May birthday and hers could be held outside. Now some people have their parties away from the home making cleanup easier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I would have died if I couldn't have the cereal prize! Your mom was brilliant though. What a great idea.

Unknown said...

I would say your mother was very savy. We could learn some lessons from her.