Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Stiff Polly

When Dr John and i first married we got a parrot called Polly. I think Dr John did blog about Polly. When Pete was born we had to sell Polly. Dr John continued to want a parrot. Christmas a few years ago Walmart was selling these talking dancing parrots. I thought perfect parrot for Dr John. no clean-up. Polly's leg broke when we took it out of the box, but I taped it up, and Polly sat on the perch in the bedroom.
One of the rotations at Sunday School this year was Treasures in Heaven and it had a station in it that needed a parrot. We took Polly off the perch and she went to church and sat in the Palm tree the church has for decoration, and was used in the station that needed the parrot. Kids and adults would be startled when Polly would squawk hello. After the rotation was done Polly was placed in a box with the other items used in the rotation and was forgotten about.
There is a lady in the church who volunteers to clean-up the bathrooms after their use, and she takes care of the food pantry. While she was working last week she heard a voice saying hello. She looked around for who was in the church, because she thought it was empty. She could not find anyone. She went back to work. Again she heard hello. She did a search and after many hellos she found the box with the parrot. She took the parrot to her car to silence it. On Sunday she was telling another person about the parrot just as I came in the church after the sack race. I told her that was my parrot so she gladly went to her car and brought him to me. I turned off the button and silenced him and brought him home. Some gifts in up with many uses, and in places they were not intented to be.

4 comments:

quilly said...

Too funny! I am glad that Polly finally found her way home. It was so "smart" of her to speak up like that!

Melli said...

LOL! Oh now I remember!!! I have PICTURES of Ella and Polly! That Polly is quite a character! And she did sO want to come hooooome! I'm glad you got her back! :)

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

This was Funny Betty, A bit of Dr John I didn't know about. I am sure he was looking down Chuckling to himself. Thank you for Sharing.

Lori's Minute said...

It is funny how even a stuffed bird makes life interesting.